Kitcarmag

1927 Bugatti type 35 for sale

Item Posts    Sort Order

1927 Bugatti type 35 for sale

rshyx rshyx
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/18/09
03:25 PM

In great condition and good running order, very rare Ironsmith Bugatti replica.

This was factory built by ironsmith, not home built. The car is powered by a 4 cylinder over head Cam ford pinto/ mustang engine (The Ford Pinto used the OHC version, a 2.3 L (2302 cm³) unit introduced in 1974 which has a 96.0 mm (3.78 in) bore and 79.5 mm (3.13 in) stroke. This version lasted until 1997 in various guises. The earliest units produced 66 kW (88 hp) and 160  N·m (118 ft·lbf)).  The engine is in the front where it should be...not like the VW powered cheap nasty kits. The front suspension is mustang II/ pinto and the frame is a very solid square tube chassis. Rear end is ford.

This car is very similar to the UK Teal Bugatti cars (see skyblueteal.com)

About $3000 worth of upgrading the car this year. The car has 5 new Greg Weld 17x4.5 alloy wheels to give an authentic look. They have new Hoosier tires. Wheels and tires cost $1900

Installed new 11 inch stainless headlights to give it the right look, they were $350 for the pair and are new.

The steering wheel is a new Moto Lita 4 spoke...bugatti's have to have 4 spoke steering wheels!

The car is very tidy and starts very reliably. It shifts through the gears nicely also.

VW powered bugatti replicas go for $4000-8000...this is waaay more car, I saw a similar car sell for $30K recently.

Car is titled in Mass as a 1927 Buga Replica  

acthirty acthirty
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 10/18/10
02:38 PM

What email can I contact you at?
Got pics?  

baldi365 baldi365
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/11
Posted: 04/22/11
12:22 AM

so even with all the extra cost,if it is a replica bugatti 35b type,similar but not a teal bugatti,how much is the asking price? something for a reasonable cost? not to outrageous? i am interested in obtaining 1 again like the 3 bugatti kits my father had back in the mid-late 70's...thank you....baldi365@yahoo.com  

slocs slocs
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 06/04/12
09:22 PM

Baldi365:

I have an unbuilt Ironsmith 1927 Typ 35 Bugatti for sale that I bought from Bob Koch way back in 1986.  It has been stored in my garage ever since.  It is a very complete kit, including instruments, wheels, radiator, seats, half moon windscreens.  It is located in central California and I will sell it for $5,500.00.  Contact me at jslocombe137@gmail.com if you are interested.  

susanida susanida
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/12
Posted: 08/05/12
02:06 PM

I have a teal (blue-ish) 1927 Bugatti, assembled in 1997 (bok), vW engine, ?6000 miles or less....i have pics.  

GMRoss GMRoss
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 01/15/14
06:43 PM

Icon Quoteslocs:
Baldi365:

I have an unbuilt Ironsmith 1927 Typ 35 Bugatti for sale that I bought from Bob Koch way back in 1986.  It has been stored in my garage ever since.  It is a very complete kit, including instruments, wheels, radiator, seats, half moon windscreens.  It is located in central California and I will sell it for $5,500.00.  Contact me at jslocombe137@gmail.com if you are interested.

The Site doesn't seem to like me tonight, I attempted to include image URLs which do materialize in the "preview" screen but then regress to .jpg links. Copy and paste into your browser if you'd care to view.

It's a year later now and I bought this Ironsmith Bugatti as offered. Bob Koch, the designer/ manufacturer of this kit has been a great inspiration as I've communicated with him a number of times - via phone and snail mail - Bob's not wired and at the age of 80 something doesn't care!
I departed from his concept related to the donor car selection, Pinto Fords are hard to come by (I wonder why) and 35 year old Ford parts generally didn't interest me.
I opted instead for new aftermarket tubular Mustang II front suspension parts with minor alterations to accommodate adjustable coil-overs all round.
The Driveline is Honda S2000 V-Tec with the matching 6-Spd. and the complete Honda IRS rear suspension sub-frame.
Wheels and tires consist of period complimentary 18" by 4" wire wheels and Blockley racing tires.
Following here are several links;
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a540/gmrossjr/Bugatti/V-TecandTranny_zpsebae0b6c.jpg
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a540/gmrossjr/Bugatti/RearSubframe4_zpsaf2800f7.jpg
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a540/gmrossjr/Bugatti/DSC_0042R_zps63a2ebbb.jpg
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a540/gmrossjr/Bugatti/01325c39-b8d7-49e9-a5cd-a5f3e455bed9_zpsacb7a7d1.jpg
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a540/gmrossjr/Bugatti/tailpiecetrimmed3_zpsa881f549.jpg
http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/gmrossjr/media/Bugatti/Dashtrimmed8_zpsbd322b58.jpg.html
To me the wheels absolutely make the car, basically doubled the value of the car with these English built beauties. Fortunately I was able to match the Honda wheel bolt pattern with metric GM front hub trim on the front suspension so the full set of real knock-offs/ wheel adapters are identical - 4 by 4-1/2" 12 mm studs.
Build strategy has been to first alter the rear of the manufactured Ironsmith frame to allow the Honda Sub-frame to be mated to it. A very robust set of bolted connections was created. With that achieved all the balance of the mechanicals more or less fall into place. Not wanting to get complicated and have to mess with a shortened driveshaft (stock Honda) the rear sub-frame had been mocked up and the Engine/ transmission set in the frame fore and aft as defined by the length of the driveshaft. Co-incidental or otherwise the engine and it's factory header fits nicely within the Bugatti frame and bodywork and of course coming from a 2 seater sports car the proportions are already right.
The dash is now taking shape with some period type accessories and a set of Classic instruments including GPS Speedo.
Last unique bit of detailing is coming with the use of a DuVall (read period California Hot Rod) V-windshield. The kit I located requires fabrication/ assembly so narrowing for the Bugatti is not overly complicated. Final fitment will be achieved with a bit of body work/ filling to blend the cowl fit to the frame.
She will also have fenders, finish concept is of a touring version of the race car. She'll have a few creature comforts, a heater/ defroster and windshield wipers. A fold down roof is a down the road project. getting it to look right on this doorless car will be a challenge. She will have some trunk space, an outside luggage rack and the front end looking right with period headlamps as shown in the attached progress images.
Roll-out plan for the Spring is to get in a road test, dismantle her and send the body parts out for finish paint, final assembly and go touring this coming Summer.  

GMRoss GMRoss
06:45 PM

Website glitch - duplicate Posting error  

GMRoss GMRoss
07:49 PM

Website glitch - duplicate Posting error